Friday, September 20, 2013

Preauricular Sinus Surgery

Yeah, it's been awhile.  Life has been busy, to say the least.  For those of you that don't know, Daniel has a new job, and I'm in the midst of getting my Texas teaching certificate.  Between that, and having two active boys, I just haven't taken the time to just sit and write. 

Last summer, Jackson had two surgeries.  On June 15, 2012, he had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, in the hopes of curing him of his fever syndrome, PFAPA.  Since that surgery, Jackson hasn't had a fever episode.  While we have been thrilled with the success of the surgery, it can be hard to celebrate as the fevers can return at a later time.  But for now, we are grateful that he has had a fever-free year!  His dental surgery last July also went well.  We now just wait to see how his permanent teeth come in.

Jackson just started kindergarten!  He's currently adjusting to the longer days...  The first day at pick-up, he told Daniel, "I love school!  But I think they accidentally kept us too long."  Sweet boy.  :)




In other news, Jackson was born with a preauricular pit (or sinus) in his right ear. Up until the past few months, he hasn't had any issues.  However, recently he has had two severe infections.  We've reached the point where we needed to schedule surgery to remove the sinus.  This surgery is scheduled with his ENT for October 16th at Dell Childrens Hospital. 

Sometimes I feel like it's one thing after another with Jackson, and I feel for him, but he's such a trooper and amazingly resilient.  It is truly remarkable how far we've come!  And for that, I am grateful.  We'll keep you updated.


2 comments:

norac said...

Thanks for the update!

Daanzaa said...

I find it interesting to read about you. My son suffering from the same genetic disease. Currently, my son is 4 years. We live in Lithuania.