Thursday, May 15, 2008

First Mother's Day

Mother's Day. For as long as I can remember, I have longed for the day when I would be able to call myself a mother. This Mother's Day, however, held a mix of emotions for me.

Having spent part of Friday and most of Saturday in the hospital with Jackson, I wasn't quite sure what Sunday would hold for us. I was pleasantly surprised when we found out we would be able to take our sweet boy home with us on Saturday evening. We'd be home for Mother's Day.

We woke up early as usual on Sunday morning (sleeping in no longer exists with a baby), got Jackson fed, and made sure to give him his pain meds as we did not want to end up where we were the night before. Daniel was eager for me to open my gifts; one from Jackson and one from him. Jackson bought me a gift (pretty talented lil guy considering he was in the hospital the previous couple days)! I made sure Daniel brought me my coffee prior to opening gifts - I wanted to be awake for the event.

Here's what I found inside:

Yes, you see correctly. A John Deere Salt and Pepper Set. How do you tell them apart? For one, the salt always has more holes, plus the tractor with the black steering wheel... definitely the pepper! Daniel made sure that I received my first 'useless' Mother's Day gift - you know those gifts we kids think are perfectly brilliant but really have no practical use. Daniel tells the story of how his mom once gave his grandmother a spaghetti fork - a perfect illustration.

Later on that day, I got a card from Jackson. I have a very talented 4 month old - he can write (although a bit sloppy) and spell fairly well too!


So if you happen to visit our house in the not-too-distant-future, you might just find on our table a perfectly placed set of salt and pepper shakers along with one of the cutest little boys in the world.

1 comment:

Soderin Family said...

oh man Halle, you guys had a rough week. i'm glad jackson is feeling better. can we take you guys to dinner this week? do you guys like maya in baywood? call me or shoot me an email.

hugs,

drea